Protein bars, Good or Bad?




Protein bars may be a large part of your diet; before or after your workout, on the go, a quick lunch, or whatever it may be.

What are you really eating though?

Check out this informative article from the Globe and Mail on protein bars.

I've found that most protein bars have way too much sugar and not enough good ingredients to make them worthwhile.

I make my own protein bars at home; here's a recipe I really like:

(I’d love to take credit for this recipe, but in fact, it is based on a “clean” recipe from last month’s (OXYGEN MAGAZINE. I’ll give you the original recipe and then offer you my substitutions)
ORIGINAL: Pumpkin, cherry, pecan protein bars
3 scoops vanilla protein powder *I used chocolate*
1 1/2 C rolled oats
1/4 cups dried cherries *I used dried cranberries this time but have used cherries in the past, but would strongly suggest using up to 1 cup of either of these dried fruits*
1/4 cup pecans
1C pumpkin puree
1/3 cup of egg white (usually equals whites from 2 large eggs)
1T cinnamon
1/4 t ground cloves
1t ground ginger
1T maple extract
2T molasses
4 pkts calorie free sweetener *I used stevia*
to all of this I added 1/4 cup dark choc., chips and 1/4 cup milk choc chips
1)preheat oven to 400*
2)combine all ingredients
3)spray 8×8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray
4) press combined ingredients into dish
5) bake 20-25 minutes
6) let cool completely before cutting

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High protein foods- Navy Beans are Awesome!

Wine or Workout? From Bodybuilding.com

Holiday Hypnotherapy? Weight Loss Over the Holidays